[ANSTHRLD] Name Documentation Help

Kathleen O'Brien kobrien at texas.net
Sat Oct 14 18:12:50 PDT 2006

At 03:34 PM 10/14/2006 -0500, you wrote:
>On Sat, 14 Oct 2006, tmcd at panix.com <heralds at lists.ansteorra.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > Correct. 3rd edition needs no photocopies.
>>
>> I am 95% sure that someone authoritative recently stated that, because
>> Appendix H of the CoA Admin Handbook doesn't mention editions, that
>> all editions are no-photocopy ... but I can't find the e-mail.

My understanding is that all the versions of Withycombe were "no
photocopy".  I certainly treated them that way when I held the Pelican office.

However, do note that the pages change by each edition.  Even between the
hardcover and paperback copies of the 3rd edition.  So, when citing from
Withycombe, please make sure to note:

- edition
- page
- header
- what the entry says about the name you're citing

So, something like:

Withycombe (3rd ed., p. 207 s.n. Margaret) dates the form "Megge" to 1273;
also to the 15th C (Coventry Mysteries).

This gives the commenters enough information to be able to look this up in
their own books if they need to.  Also, if you're citing from the 2nd
edition, it's likely that some commenters will look it up to see if there
were any changes (or additions that may help you) made in the 3rd edition.

As an example of how not to doc a name, I often cite a name submission form
that came through my hands when I was typing up name submissions for
Gwenllian when she was Asterisk.

The form was documenting the name "Elizabeth".  The name form simply said:

	Withycombe, p.

No page number, no header, nothing else.  Just "Withycombe, p.".  And no
docs for the byname at all.  Sigh.

Also be aware that Withycombe really isn't reliable for anything other than
English names.  What she says about other languages is usually modern.

Mari