[ANSTHRLD] New Forms online

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Fri Oct 20 22:56:13 PDT 2006

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006, Luciana Caterina di Borgese <dolce.luce at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/20/06, Alasdair MacEogan <alasdair at bmhanson.net> wrote:
> > Or rather close to right.  As a nit pick I would say you need to
> > have a little more space between the annulet and the edge of the
> > field.  but that should not be any real bar to your understanding
> > of this particular topic.
>
> Thank you. I think you have also managed to answer my next question,
> which was going to be whether or not the edges of the device
> submissions were supposed to reach the edge of the shield drawing on
> the forms. They are.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you.  He wrote, "you need to have a
little more space between the annulet and the edge of the field".
That is, the outside edges of the annulet should NOT reach the edges
of the square; the annulet ought to shrink.

(Alternately, the submitter *could* want it to touch the edges.  But
then you'd have to *grow* the annulet a little to make sure that it
*does* clearly touch each edge, to eliminate the little shims of white
between the annulet and the square on the current depiction.  In that
alternative, you would blazon it as "an annulet throughout".  That's
not anywhere near as common in period armory, though, so while it's
registerable, I'd recommend against it.  Also, in most but not all
cases, the SCA grants no difference for "throughout" versus normal.)

I should mention some of the SCA heraldic defintions (which can differ
from the real world's).

A "device" in the SCA is "A heraldic design that uniquely represents
the person or group that owns it.", to quote the SCA Glossary of Terms
from
    http://www.sca.org/heraldry/coagloss.html
"Uniquely" means that a person can have no device or one device.
In the real world, what the SCA calls a "device" they call a "coat of
arms".  (We don't because the notion of an "Award of Arms" makes
"arms" a different concept in the SCA.)

A "badge" is (CoA Glossary of Terms)
    A piece of armory used by an individual or group to identify
    possessions, retainers, members, or other items. A badge is
    different from a device, which is used solely by its owner (or the
    owner's herald).

In the SCA, for minor administrative convenience, "devices" are
submitted for registration on forms with a "heater shield" (and I
think some kingdoms still allow the "lozenge shield" form).  "Badges"
are now drawn on a form that has a square shield shape.  (The forms
are also labelled at the top with the word "Device" or "Badge".)

To continue with the CoA Glossary,
    Charge. An item placed on a piece of armory.
(By "item", it means an object, not a partition of the field.)

    Submission. A name or piece of armory that is presented to the College
    of Arms for registration.
So that's everything that's on a single form.  Going by your
depiction, the client will have a submission of the badge "[tincture]
a grenade [tincture] enflamed [tincture] within an annulet
[tincture]".

So
> whether or not the edges of the device submissions were supposed to
> reach the edge of the shield drawing on the forms.
should be termed
> whether or not the edges of the charges were supposed to
> reach the edge of the shield drawing on the forms.

Danet de Lyncoln
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com