[ANSTHRLD] Titled Heralds of the SCA

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Mon Oct 16 22:59:38 PDT 2006

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006, tmcd at panix.com <heralds at lists.ansteorra.org> wrote:
> I have the dim impression that Hanaper originated as a "special
> projects" title, and it was stuck onto him after he stepped down as
> Star,

Then again, looking at the definition of "hanaper":

  Hanaper \Han"a*per\ (-[.a]*p[~e]r), n. ...
     A kind of basket, usually of wickerwork, and adapted for the
     packing and carrying of articles; a hamper.
     [1913 Webster]

     {Hanaper office}, an office of the English court of chancery
        in which writs relating to the business of the public, and
        the returns to them, were anciently kept in a hanaper or
        hamper. --Blackstone.
        [1913 Webster]

given that Tadhg Liath did a major paper on period styles of charters
and rewrote the Ansteorran charters to follow the models, and given
that "Hanaper Herald" was registered in June 1991, albeit in his term
as Star, I'm wondering whether it may have been aimed at him from the
start.

Danyll de Linccolne
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com