[ANSTHRLD] Help please - please confirm the verbiage of the blazon

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Wed Oct 18 19:58:40 PDT 2006

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, Jay Rudin <rudin at ev1.net> wrote:
> "Luciana Caterina di Borgese" <dolce.luce at gmail.com> wrote:
> > http://www.geocities.com/elfsea_herald/Devices/Elspeth-device-8.gif
>
> Almost.  The proper blazon is "Purpure, *SIX* cinquefoils 3, 1, and 2
> between a pair of flaunches argent."

Almost.  A more proper SCA blazon is "Purpure, six cinquefoils three
one and two between flaunches argent."  ("More proper" is because
someone is likely to point out another correction.)  We spell out
numbers.  The commas in the list may certainly be included, but recent
Wreaths have tended to be comma-negative.  And, as noted in a 10/94
ruling,

       Versus Cariadoc of the Bow (SCA, badge), Azure, a candle
       enflamed within an orle Or, there was some question whether
       there were CDs for both type (orle vs. flaunches) and number
       (one vs. two), as you cannot have a single flaunch.  It is
       Laurel's opinion that there is indeed a CD for number here;
       while they may only come in pairs, there are quite clearly two
       of them, on opposite sides of the field.  ...

In the dozen or so most recent registrations I looked at, "flaunch" as
a word appeared in blazons only in the fragment "... between
flaunches, each flaunch charged with ..." or the like.

Daniel de Lyncoln
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com