[ANSTHRLD] New Forms online

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Thu Oct 19 20:28:19 PDT 2006

Personally, I'd like to see us do a fieldless badge form too, just to
remove the bounding box when there's no field.

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006, Luciana Caterina di Borgese <dolce.luce at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/19/06, Jennifer Smith <jds at randomgang.com> wrote:
> > The square box is for purposes of the badge form only. The
> > submitter can display their armory in whatever shape they like
> > (how do you think we manage the rectangular banners and such?), as
> > usual.
>
> In other words...instead of the annulet being round, it becomes a square for
> the purposes of the submission?

Not at all.

The shape of the background is irrelevant to the heraldic design
that's on it.  The badge form used to be a circle, it's now a square,
and in the future we could make it a diamond, or a rectangle, or a
triangle pennon, or an Interstate Highway road sign, or an outline of
the Crimean Peninsula, or whatever.  They all depict the same armory
on it.  We chose a square shape for some administrative convenience.

Annulets are always round.  Roundels are always round.  Billets are
always rectangular.  Swords are always sword shaped.  Horned winged
sea-nutrias are always shaped like something you see after too much of
Master Pug's brew.

The only charges that change shape on a square form rather than a
circular form are those peripheral ordinaries that conform to the edge
of the shield.  A bordure, on a "heater shield" (the current device
form) follows the edge and looks like a voided heater shield.  On a
circle background, a bordure is a hollow circle.  On a square
background, a bordure is a hollow circle.  An orle follows the edge of
the shield, but in (a bordure washed on hot).  A chief has more area
on a square than a circle because it extends into the corners.  A few
more peripheral ordinaries do the same -- charges defined as extending
all the way to the edges.

Daniel Lincoln
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com