[ANSTHRLD] Announcing Event Court Awards

Alden Drake alden_drake at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 26 12:06:45 PDT 2006

----- Original Message ----
<tmcd at panix.com> wrote:

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006, Luciana Caterina di Boniface
<dolce.luce at gmail.com> wrote:
> They petitioned Aaron and Britta for permission to open the award so
> that they could induct this Lady into the order.

Whisky Tango Foxtrot?  The award is owned by the Steppes; it's in the
gift of the baron and baroness; Corpora gives baronies the right to
create and award non-armigerous awards without let or hinderance.

Oh, it's so damned annoying when non-heralds meddle in heraldry ...
um, why are you laughing so hard?

This takes a bit more digging I'm afraid.
Corpora grants B&Bs authority to *bestow* a baronial service award, not to approve them.  We underwent this not long ago in Stargate.  Baronies are only allowed to have one Baronial Service Order open at any time, so Their Excellencies Stargate (Godwin & Ellissena) had to temporarily close the Sodality to re-open the Misty Star, so they could award it to Mistress Shanahan the Fey.  The Misty Star was then closed and the Sodality re-opened.  This was done with the consent of Their Majesties Patrick Michael V and Julia V.  I'm pretty sure we (I was Baronial Herald at the time) consulted with Master Robin at that time as well.

>From Corpora, Section VIII.B.5. "Only royalty and territorial Barons and Baronesses may bestow awards. If an award is established for a specific branch, only the royalty or Baronage of that branch may bestow the award, unless the power is specifically delegated in a manner consistent with Corpora and kingdom law and custom."

>From Kingdom Law, Section X.2.A. "The Crown reserves the right to itself to create and revise any and all Ansteorran awards, honors, and orders, and approve baronial service orders."

In service,
Alden Drake