[ANSTHRLD] Help please: "summary" in the Name Documentation area

Siren Song sirensong13 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 3 16:16:37 PDT 2007

The book I sited was sited in the biblio of the index so I will just leave it off. Thanks everyone for all the help. I promise to NEVER write see attached again. (and it was only 3 pages *wink*)
Siobhan

Jennifer Smith <jds at randomgang.com> wrote: > ok so how does this look? I think it incoorporated both of
> your suggestions...
>
> Úna Carleton
>
>   For the Name Úna
>      Una is shown to be used from 1301 forward in the Annals
>      Standard forms of this name (based on spelling systems
> of different periods) would be:
>   Early Modern Irish Gaelic (c1200-c1700) form: Úna
>      Initial information complied from
> http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/mari/AnnalsIndex/Feminine/1201-
> 1600.shtml
>   Gaelic Feminine Names
>      Donnchadh Ó Corráin and Fidelma Maguire, Irish Names,
> 2nd edition (Dublin, Ireland: Lilliput Press, 1990).
>      Thurneysen, Rudolf, ed. Scéla Mucce Meic Dathó,
> Mediaeval and Modern Irish Series, Volume VI. (Oxford, Great
> Britain: University Press, 1932). The Dublin Institute for
> Advanced Studies, 1975 reprint.

Since you are citing both a name article found on Saint Gabriel, as well as
a book not listed in Appendix H of the SCA Heralds' Administrative Handbook
(that Volume VI one), you will need photocopies of those items. The book
_Irish Names_ is in Appendix H, and so no photocopies are needed of it; we
(heralds who do this a lot) typically abbreviate a lot of the Appendix H
sources (in this case to just "OC&M"), but it's certainly good as-is.

>   For the Name : Carleton
>      4 men were listed with the name surname Carleton in the
> 1523 York and Ainsty subsidy roll in the reign on King Henry VIII
>      Carleton comes from an index based on information from
> the 1523 York and Ainsty subsidy roll transcription:
>   The Yorkshire Archaeological and Topographical Journal Vol.
> IV, 1877, transcribed by Peter Nelson
> http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/Misc/SubsidyRolls/ARY/ARY
> SubsidyRolls2.html
>   Bynames Found in the 1523 Subsidy Roll for York and Ainsty
> Indexed by Karen Larsdatter (Karen Harris)
> http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/york16/bynamesalphabe
> tically.htm

Articles on sca.org are also considered "no photocopy" sources, meaning you
don't need to provide printouts of them either. Since that article cites the
genuki.org.uk website, you are safe in leaving that citation out entirely,
but it's no sin to include it either.

The only other thing you have not addressed is whether or not it is
reasonable to pair an Early Modern Irish Gaelic given name with an English
surname.

-Emma, Bordure

Lady Siobhan inghean ui Tigernaigh
http://www.bellaonline.com/site/renaissance
It's not the color of the Text but how you use it.