[ANSTHRLD] the name Willow WAS: temporal restrictions

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Thu Apr 5 09:08:52 PDT 2007

Hedwig asked:

> OK...I have also been precedent diving for the name Willow and have found
> nothing on it definitively as a first name from ANY Culture.  I have spent
> long hours looking at St Gabe's too.  Can anyone direct me toward
> information on this?  Please?  I'm trying here :-)

Congratulations.  As far as I know, your research is exactly correct --
Willow is not a period first name in any known pre-seventeenth-century
culture.

"Willow de Wisp" passed more than a quarter of a century ago, under very
different rules in a very different College of Arms.  (Intriguingly, it was
originally rejected, but not for non-period style.  It was originally
rejected for conflict with the equally inauthentic "Will the Wisp".

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin