[ANSTHRLD] Advice on two blazons

Britt tierna.britt at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 14:46:34 PDT 2007

> > Per bend gules and sable, a cross crosslet argent.
>
> That charge doesn't overlay the line of division in the way that "Per
> bend ... a bend" or "Per pale ... a pale" does.  Even if it did, hte
> line of division is not complex.

A clarification. The charge lying across the field division need not
totally obscure it to be problematic.

     [Per fess wavy vert and azure, a bucket Or] RfS VIII.3 notes that
obscuring a complex
     low-contrast line of partition may well be grounds for return for
unidentifiability. We have such a
     case here: the bucket covers most of the line of partition.
[Jorunn Eydisardottir, 01/03,
     R-Calontir]

     [Per fess engrailed azure and argent, an oak tree eradicated
gules within a bordure sable] The
     College of Arms unanimously found that the identity of the line
of division was obscured by the
     overlying tree, rendering it unidentifiable. Such
unidentifiability is unacceptable by RfS VIII.2. In
     this emblazon, the tree branches and leaves overlie the majority
of the line of division. Often, a
     tree on a per fess field will only have the narrow trunk overlie
the line of division, which would
     help the line of division maintain its identifiability. However,
because the top part of the field has
     low contrast with the tree, such a drawing might have other
identifiability problems, since the
     majority of the identifying portion of the tree (the branches and
leaves) would lie on the low
     contrast portion of the field. While redrawing may solve the
identifiability problem with the line of
     partition, swapping the field tinctures so that the red tree
branches lie mostly on the white parts
     of the field would improve the general identifiability of the
armory substantially. [Ethne an
     Locha, 05/02, R-Æthelmearc]

The precedents category to look at is Identifiability. I only drew two
of Francois' three pertinent precedents for posting here, and Elsbeth
has some excellent ones, as well. A quick read will give much insight
into the subject.
(But basically, Daniel was right. Plain line field divisions are
nearly always identifiable beneath charges placed over them.)

- Teceangl