[ANSTHRLD] Back scroll information request

Diane Rudin serena1570 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 11 15:12:05 PDT 2007

Your Excellency,

Perhaps I can be of some assistance.  I am the deputy to the Star
Principal Herald in charge of maintaining & revising awards document
texts for the kingdom of Ansteorra.  I have posted this reply
publicly to the list for those curious about "ancient" practices.  :)

>From the March 16, 1984/xviii edition of Ansteorran scroll texts
authorized by Lord Anebairn, Star Principal Herald:

Ducal and County Scrolls

Be it known by all Nobles and gentles to whom these presents come
that We, _____ Rex and _____ Regina, sendeth greeting.  In
recognition that Our Most Noble and Right Worthy subject hath
("twice", if Ducal) sat a Royal Throne and ("twice", if Ducal) worn a
[Kingly/Queenly] Crown it is thus Our Pleasure and Duty as King and
Queen of Ansteorra to acknowledge that [name; incl. all titles,
orders, awards, etc.,] for having reigned with Honour in these lands,
shall hereafter be accounted to possess the Rank and Title of
[Duke/Duchess, Count/ess ("and Lady of the Rose", if applicable)],
with all Rights, Responsibilities, Privileges, Precedence, and
Insignis thereto appertaining.

Furthermore, through Our heralds We confirm this Our subject's full
and exclusive right to the display and use of the Arms blazoned
thusly [blazon & emblazon (full achievement)].

So given by Our hands at Our _____ of _____ on this the _____ day of
_____, being the Year _____ of the Society and _____ by the common
reckoning.

[Be sure to obtain the signature of the Star Principal Herald.]

--------------------

Now for some explanations:  at that time, only the blazon of the arms
was included in the text of the document, although the full
achievement was pictured ("emblazoned").  In other words, the text
only described her arms, NOT also livery, supporters, etc.

The size of the document would have been 18 x 24 or 20 x 24.

At that time Ansteorra did not register full achievements of arms the
way we have since c. 1988, so I don't know what her Grace's
achievement components were.  I don't think that there were any
rank-related restrictions before 1988 as to what achievement
components one was allowed.  Perhaps someone has a picture somewhere.

I'm not sure why reference to her Rose would be in her Ducal scroll;
it should have been in her Comital scroll.

The signature of the then-Crowns and the then-Star Principal Herald
are on file with Golden Scroll, Countess Sara Penrose, and she can
discuss with you the parameters involved in that aspect of the
re-creation.  She is also our current Zodiacus Herald.

--Serena Lascelles, Blanc Gryffon Herald