[ANSTHRLD] temporal restrictions

kobrien at texas.net kobrien at texas.net
Thu Apr 5 11:39:29 PDT 2007

Quoting Hedwig <honeyfrog at gmail.com>:

> I'm still working on Wyllow MacMuireadhaigh's name.  The earliest form of
> her last name I can find so far at St. G's is 12th century (1100s) Scots
> and
> her first name documentation says it is a 6th (500s) century Cornish
> name...
> so still 2 weirdnesses.
>
> 1 for Cornish/Scots
> 1 for +300 temporal disparity

Yeah.  However, wasn't the Cornish reference for a saint?  If so, it may fall
under the registerabilty guidelines for saints' names (summarized in the
09/2001 cover letter; http://www.sca.org/heraldry/loar/2001/09/01-09cl.htm).

Looking at the docs for <Wyllow> from the 12/2005 LoI
(http://heraldry.ansteorra.org/LoI/LoI-2005-12.pdf), it's also not clear if
<Wyllow> is an appropriate spelling for 6th C Cornwall or if it's a modern
form of that saint's name.  If it's modern only, then it is not automatically
registerable.

The Old English forms you found in Searle are probably the best documented if
the submitter is willing to accept one of these spellings.

Mari