[ANSTHRLD] Bee positions

Britt tierna.britt at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 01:59:50 PDT 2007

On 8/24/07, Jennifer Smith <jds at randomgang.com> wrote:
> Donnchadh wrote:
> > Is a side view possible for bees, and how should I blazon it?
>
> It is not, and would be returned for a heraldic identifiability problem. (We
> recently returned two side-view dragonflies for the same reason...)

But this precedent has not been overturned, so far as I know:

[(Fieldless) A bee statant proper] In the SCA, a bee statant has its
wings addorsed by default, as in the August 2002 registration of
Robert Pine's device.

This badge does not conflict with Aideen the Audacious, (Fieldless) A
bumblebee fesswise proper. There is one CD for fieldlessness. Aideen's
bumblebee is in its default tergiant posture, and then rotated
fesswise. There is a CD between a bee tergiant fesswise and a bee
statant. Both postures show the bees with fesswise bodies, but a bee
tergiant fesswise has wings visible on both sides of the bee's body,
while a bee statant only has wings visible on the chiefmost side of
the body. This difference is worth a CD, analogous to the difference
between a bird rising wings displayed and a bird rising wings
addorsed. [Catríona nic Theàrlaigh, 12/02, A-An Tir]

I've read precedents through the most recently published LoAR and see
nothing that changes the registrability of a bee in profile.  I'd
counsel to have the wings addorsed, as in the precedent, otherwise you
will completely obscure the identifiability of the insect, but until
Laurel specifically says that bees may not be registered in profile
view, they may be.  It is not a period posture and very likely a Step
>From Period Practice, and might cause conflict issues against other
insect types since so much of the outline is changed, but if there are
no conflict issues and she draws it looking like a bee (here I highly
suggest striping it, even if not proper, to assure it really looks
like a bee) it should be acceptable.

- Teceangl