[ANSTHRLD] A Crouching Cat

Alasdair MacEogan alasdair at bmhanson.net
Fri Aug 3 06:55:47 PDT 2007

Britt <tierna.britt at gmail.com> wrote:
>  The posture that started
>  this thread is s'elongant and Daniel said what needed to be said about
>  that.  Being neither couchant nor statant, it is not heraldic and not
>  allowed.

Or for completeness sake, look at this precedent.  From the draft precedents of Shauna of Carrick's Point:

Beast -- Cat, Lion and Tiger

[Azure, a cat sejant ermine and on a chief argent a cat s'elongeant sable] The lack of detail on the primary cat reduces its identifiability below the point of comfort. The cat on the chief is in a posture for which registration has not been attempted since the 1970's. This s'elongeant posture certainly blurs the distinction between passant/statant and couchant, two posture categories between which we give a CD. Barring evidence that this posture was used in period armory, s'elongeant is hereby declared unregisterable. [Miriel Gard of Yale, 04/04, R-Caid]

Alasdair