[ANSTHRLD] Ansteorran online commentary system

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Mon Aug 20 18:49:49 PDT 2007

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007, Mike Wyvill <wyvillmike at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Are you sure? Looks Welsh to me....
>
> > Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 15:33:13 -0500> From: tmcd at panix.com> To: heralds at lists.ansteorra.org> Subject: Re: [ANSTHRLD] Ansteorran online commentary system> > > AIOHCSWAATMNSW (Ansteorran Internal Heraldic Online Commentary System> > With An Acronym That Makes No Sense Whatsoever)> > Pronounced "Bjorn".> > Daniel Lincoln> -- > Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com> _______________________________________________> Heralds mailing list> Heralds at lists.ansteorra.org> http://lists.ansteorra.org/listinfo.cgi/heralds-ansteorra.org

I don't know what your e-mail program or system is doing to e-mail,
but Lordy it ain't pretty.  Please make sure that what you send to the
list is readable by the general reader, and that it's clear who wrote
what (if you can tell).

If I may make a few more suggestions: I also suggest that you trim
quoted text to the minimum required to establish context for your
reply.  I also find it most helpful to have the reply *after* the
quoted text, so that I can read the context and then the reply that
needs the context.  In the above case, I couldn't make sense of your
comment: I had to read down, decode the context, and then re-read your
comment.

So, rearranged:

> tmcd at panix.com:
>> > AIOHCSWAATMNSW (Ansteorran Internal Heraldic Online Commentary
>> > System With An Acronym That Makes No Sense Whatsoever)
>>
>> Pronounced "Bjorn".
>
> Are you sure? Looks Welsh to me....

A hit, a palpable hit.  Though it really should have more Ws and a few
LLs for that.  Maybe it's some Native American language, meaning "a
stream where the bison go to drop dung so don't drink there".

I was making weak jokes, but I *am* feverish.  I was thinking of the
computer programming language INTERCAL, which stands for "A
Programming Language With No Pronouncable Acronym".  (It's a seriously
twisted language.)

I was also alluding to what was devised as the worst un-registerable
name in the early 1980s -- or possibly even registerable under the
rules then -- devised in Ansteorra:

Bjorn Achmed Gaiusovna O'Hapsburg de la FitzShumio

It barely fit the 50-character requirement of the time, which was one
of the few hard requirements.  (Some add "the Nazi Elf", but that's
just too much, I would say, and also goes over 50.)

Actually, I have the old rules ... nope, unregisterable as of the 1985
rules, at least, though maybe before them ...  More than three
languages, "Fitz-" isn't in the same language as "Shumio" (and
similarly for "O'" and "Hapsburg", and "Gaius" and "-ovna", and "de la
Fitz" + Japanese), presumption ("Hapsburg"), doesn't fit the naming
conventions of any of the languages.  Maybe it was "Fitz Shumio" to
get it to 51 too.

"Shumio", documented as "made up to sound Japanese", would have been
OK under the "Made-Up Names Allowance" (which "*recommends* that a
name be consistent with naming practices and usages of a specific
language, country, or culture in period".)

But I digress, and should probably get back to bed.

Danyll de Linccolne
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com