[ANSTHRLD] Asterisk moving this weekend!

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Mon Aug 20 18:55:21 PDT 2007

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007, radei at moscowmail.com wrote:
> is this the correct address for filing an appeal?

Asterisk is the correct person to handle appeals -- because all
submissions via Ansteorra go thru Asterisk, and an appeal is a
submission.

That said: I have a particular interest in appeals.  I wrote an
article "Appealing a Heraldic Return",
<http://sca.org/heraldry/laurel/appeal.html>.  I wrote it because

    A client with a returned item is annoyed. If they disagree with
    the ruling and want to appeal it, they're annoyed enough to make a
    fuss about it in writing. If the appeal isn't done right, they'll
    get even more annoyed with the next return. Therefore, such cases
    need extra attention and care. In this article, I hope to tell you
    how to do it well.

    If you read no more of this article, at least read this, from the
    precedents of Baldwin of Erebor, Laurel King of Arms, from his
    cover letter of 8 June 85, page 2:

        If you are writing an appeal, read the original ruling
        carefully and try to respond to each of the objections. Be
        concise--the more superfluous material you drag in, the harder
        it is for someone else to follow your arguments. Be
        factual--your purpose is to present new information or
        reasoning. Above all, be polite--the objective is to get
        things right, not to win at any cost.

If you wouldn't mind doing it, perhaps you might put the text of the
appeal on this list?  People might be able to give non-binding
opinions, like "I don't see that there's any hope" or "I think you
should polish this part" (or "Looks like a slam dunk to me").

Or you could e-mail it directly to me, if you like, but I'm bad about
round tuits nowadays.

Danel Lincoln
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com