[ANSTHRLD] Radei Drchevich appeal

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Fri Aug 24 09:57:33 PDT 2007

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007, kevinkeary at aol.com wrote:
> I'm not sure what AOL is doing to my posts -- in the original I sent
> the characters where those question marks appear are BLANKS.? If ...

It looks like they show up where you typed "period space" or "period
space space".  I suspect that the character right after the period is
a "non-breaking space", octal 200.

> this keeps up I am going to scrap this irritating excuse for an
> email service -- I already can't set the stupid thing to send in
> plain text instead of HTML, which is ALSO irritating.

I Googled for
     aol (email OR "e-mail") html
The third hit was
     Unofficial AOL Email FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
It includes
     8. How do I stop AOL from sending HTML to the Internet?
     <http://members.aol.com/adamkb/aol/mailfaq/#aol6html>
It points to a detailed explanation at
     <http://members.aol.com/adamkb/aol/mailfaq/sendhtml.html>

> If vetu were a simple field division ala checky or per pale, then
> charges could cross the line(s) of division.? Maybe 'treatment'
> isn't the correct them, but I would assume it was in a class with
> flaunches or a gore.

Flaunches and gores (and tierces) are charges.  Vetu is not.

There are regular field divisions that cannot be crossed: a
low-contrast field with a complex line of division.

More fundamentally: heraldry is messy.

> I understand and agree with the?principle that the blazon can't be
> used to clear conflict for exactly the reasons you and Magnus cite,
> and I am willing to live with the fact that it CAN be used to 'get
> around' lesser issues like the rule of tinctures or the number of
> layers.

Issues of acceptable style are not "lesser", just different.
You can't blazon your way out of a conflict.
You can   blazon your way out of a style problem.

> I assume it can also NOT be used to try to escape appearance of
> marshalling or presumption.

Hmmm ... I wouldn't be sure without thinking about it more.  For
example, I think there's depictions of the Mortimer arms that look
like a funky field and an ineschutcheon, and some like a regular field
and a funky bordure and chief.  (That is, the difference is just in
the width of the borders.)

Denyel de Lincoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com