[ANSTHRLD] Name Conflict Question - X-Posted

kobrien at texas.net kobrien at texas.net
Wed Dec 5 09:25:46 PST 2007

> >  Elizabeth Blackthorne is an active herald, however.  Consider
> >  approaching for permission to conflict.
>
> Hmm.  Learn something new everyday.  I thought that permission to conflict
> was only applicable to armory.  I have never heard of it used with names
> before.

oh, yeah.  And there's blanket letters of permission to conflict for names as
well.

Most of the most visible permissions to conflict you get for names are with
order names for groups, but I've seen them for people and household names,
etc. as well.  Heck, in order to get the name passed for the Rising Star of
Ansteorra, we had to get permission to conflict.  It's in the Collected Name
Precedents.  :)

You can read some of the precedents on permission to conflict in regards to
name conflict at:

http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/precedents/CompiledNamePrecedents/Conflict.
html#Permission_to_Conflict

Mari