[ANSTHRLD] Augmentation info

Darin Herndon DHerndon at chkenergy.com
Thu Feb 1 12:23:36 PST 2007

Shauna raised a good point.

A kingdom designated badge offers some advantages:
1) ease of administration (it is already registered and conflict checked
and the kingdom can write the letter allowing it to be used as an
augmentation without tracking down an inactive member of the society),
and
2) easy recognition (a populace who sees the reserved but commonly
recognizable motif would more easily recognize the honor than they would
obscure heraldic form).

Despite my commentary so far working out ways to make a kingdom badge
(or something reminiscent) work for Modius' arms, the very ease
described above leads me to personally dislike the "standard
augmentation form".  Heraldry is an art and a science.  An augmentation
is one of the most period and special expressions of honor that exist in
the art form.  To have one granted in period would typically be for a
very specific set of actions/service and the augmentation would have
reflected that in some manner.  Remember that in period most colleges of
arms designed the arms that were given to nobles and the nobles had no
say in the emblazoned form.  An augmentation required the artists and
scientists of the college to develop options that would both reflect the
high honor given (once incorporated in the family arms it was almost
always inherited), would compliment the underlying arms as much as those
arms allowed (though most augmentations just overlay what they cannot
work around), and reflected the reason for the honor as much as
possible.  (In the SCA, people choose their arms which is not period
practice.  Hence, why their augmentations cannot be specified.)

In Ansteorra, we have charter masters for many of our awards.
Achievements are always original works.  Peerages, landed nobility,
comital and ducal rank have no masters.  They are rare and special for a
variety of reasons (not to in anyway lessen other awards but these are
given far less and treated as custom works).  I personally believe that
an augmentation is perhaps the one period, and great, art form in
heraldry that should be treated as special as it is.  When one is
granted, the principal herald should appoint a senior herald (or do it
personally) to coordinate with any number of heralds and scribes who
have the background and knowledge as are needed to work with the
recipient and the granting Crown to tailor something custom, personal,
appropriate, as period as possible, and above all with the highest
respect for the art form.

In Ansteorra, fewer augmentations are given than Lions are given.  That
says nothing about the value of either, it is just a perspective.

Yes, we could have a standard augmentation form and there are reasons to
consider it.  But whether to use that standard or choose to do something
custom is the choice of the recipient in the society.  If we want to
carry the art form higher, each augmentation should be considered
personally and independently of others.

Just my two coppers,
Etienne