[ANSTHRLD] question about augmentation

Darin Herndon DHerndon at chkenergy.com
Thu Feb 1 09:28:54 PST 2007

Modius' registered arms are "Sable, a flame and a base argent."

Emma answered Sara's question about using a canton.  One of the reasons
charged cantons are forbidden for normal registrations is the appearance
of marshalling or augmentation they give; which of course lends it as
form for augmentations.

Emma also raised the issue of the kingdom badge having a sable bordure
which would not make the badge an appropriate addition to these arms.
The badge in question is blazoned "Or, a mullet of five greater and five
lesser points within a bordure sable."  So the concern is accurate, the
bordure would be lost against the filed and the canton would look offset
from the edge (not legal) and starved for size.

Before we get too lost in trying to make the ensign (the badge was
registered as an ensign for Ansteorra) fit, let's go back to Sara's
recollection of what Aaron said.
Sara wrote:
> I think what Aaron actually said was something like "a
> Black Star on a gold field,"...
The augmentation can be a custom designed item.  While a kingdom badge
can make some of the paperwork easier (you would need a letter of
permission from the kingdom to use the badge as an augmentation and
nothing additional), a single letter of permission to conflict with
badges registered to Ansteorra would serve the same purpose.  So, does
"Or, a mullet of five greater and five lesser points sable." conflict
with anything other than items registered to Ansteorra?  If not, then
with a letter of permission for the augmentation to conflict with any
registered Ansteorran armory Modius augmented arms could be "Sable, a
flame and a base argent, as an augmentation on a canton Or a mullet of
five greater and five lesser points sable."  So, first we have to
conflict check the augmentation by itself for any conflicts other than
Ansteorra (only because this form of augmentation can appear to be
independent armory).  Then we have to conflict check the final state of
Modius' arms with the augmentation.

So, first checking "Or, a mullet of five greater and five lesser points
sable." for any non-Ansteorra conflicts.

Alistair Malcolm MacAlpine
The following device associated with this name was registered in October
of 1986 (via the East):
Or, a mullet of eight points and on a sinister gore sable, a leaf
slipped Or.
-- I do not believe that eight points versus ten will get a CD but we
have addition of the gore and the tertiary leaf.

Eliahu ben Itzhak (has a possibly conflicting device and badge)
The following device associated with this name was registered in
December of 1992 (via the Middle):
Or, on a mullet of six points sable, a griffin segreant contourny Or.
-- Are six points versus ten given a CD?  If not, then the only CD is
the addition of the tertiary griffin.  This would be a problem and would
require a letter of permission to conflict.
The following badge associated with this name was registered in December
of 1992 (via the Middle):
Or, on a mullet of six points sable a griffin sejant to sinister erect,
grasping in its dexter talon three arrows inverted and in its sinister
talon a paintbrush and palette, all Or.
-- This has the same issue as the arms.  Whatever the griffin is
grasping is irrelevant.  Unless six points are differenced from ten,
there will not be two CDs.  If Eliahu would give a letter though we
would only need one letter in addition to Ansteorra's letter.  Emma, can
you pin down the point count precedent for stars?

Rodema de Rohan
Either the name or the following device associated it (or both) were
registered in January of 1973:
Or, a compass-star vert.
-- I still do not think that there is a CD between an eight pointed star
and a ten pointed star so the only CD would be color of the primary
charge.  If we can compare the augmentation "Or, a mullet of five
greater and five lesser points sable." against this as simple armory
then the single CD would be sufficient.  I am not aware if there is any
precedent disallowing augmentations to be compared as simple armory (if
they qualify) so I think this is clear.

If someone can answer the precedent on point count for stars and which
conflict and which do not, then we may only have to get a letter from
Eliahu ben Itzhak from the Middle (I know that name for some reason but
cannot remember why) and the unbordered augmentation could work.  I left
out several close devices that I could get two CDs from but someone else
should do a conflict check and see if I missed something.

I also checked "Or, a mullet of five greater and five lesser points
within a tressure sable." for any non-Ansteorra conflicts.  Adding a
tressure or orle would make this look more like the kingdom arms and
would clear all three of the above possible conflicts.  I found no
non-Ansteorra conflicts.  So, Sara, you might ask Modius what he thinks
of an inset black stripe like on the kingdom arms.

Etienne

This email (and attachments if any) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this email is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return email and destroy all copies of the email (and attachments if any).