[ANSTHRLD] question about augmentation

Jennifer Smith jds at randomgang.com
Thu Feb 1 10:40:25 PST 2007

Hedwig wrote:
> What of Sara's idea of having the augmentation cover the base
> in Modius'
> arms?  I like that idea and seem to remember on the Caid LoI
> from this month
> someone covering one of the charges on their chief with
> augmentation and a
> rule allowing that...

Yes, you can 'cover' charges on the base device with an augmentation. I
don't know if you can 'cover' the argent base with a Or base (and charge it
with a black star), but it would be great. :) I'll have to go precedent
digging to see about that...

> The augmentation may, however, on a case by case basis break
> the rules in
> > relation to the original armory. For example, Sable, on a
> chief argent a
> > lion passant maintaining, in augmentation, an escutcheon
> gules charged with
> > a cross throughout argent is acceptable even though it
> breaks RfS VIII. 1.
> > c. ii. , Layer Limit.
>
> Would putting the augmentation on the base fall into this rule?

Not exactly. Because what we're talking about is actually making the
original base unseen, whereas this example is adding a small thing on top,
so you can easily see the layers to count. Again, precedent digging time...
:)

-Emma