[ANSTHRLD] question about augmentation

Alden Drake alden_drake at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 1 11:34:59 PST 2007

Countess Sara wrote:
Would that mean that, without a letter of permission to conflict, no Ansteorran could use a Black Star on a gold field as their augmentation? That seems so sad. :(

Alden replies:
Not necessarily.  It depends on whether or not the augmentation needs to be checked as separate armory (ie. a canton or an escutcheon).  Sir Galen of Bristol is a good example that I remember from my days as Bordure:

Original (1983): Gules, a bend wavy between a double-bitted battleaxe and a compass star elongated to base Or.
Revised (2001): Gules, a bend wavy between two double-bitted battle axes Or.
Augmented (2001): Gules, a bend wavy between two double-bitted battle axes Or, and as an augmentation on the bend a mullet of five greater and five lesser points sable.

He submitted a revised device in 2001 at the same time he submitted his augmented device.  Both had to be conflict checked separately, and it is assumed that one gives themself permission to conflict.

Countess Sara also wrote:
Also, can anyone tell me what sorts of forms it's appropriate for augmentations to take? Cantons, I know, but what else? I get the impression that you can just add an element to your device (as long as it clears conflict, etc.), but it seems like that's as likely to look like a change of device as an augmentation of arms. Is there anything other than cantons that reads as being particularly "augmentation-y"? I guess in Ansteorra, anything with our mullet of 5 greater and 5 lesser points (in any color) would look augmentation-y to me, but maybe that's just me.

Alden replies:
Since anyone can change their device at any time (unlike in history), it needs to be noted that an Augmentation is essentially a Crown-made change to a person's device.  Imagine if you will that once we register a device we can't change it.  An Augmentation grants the honor of allowing a change to be made, usually representative of some significant feat/element.  Common augmentations (that may seem augmentation-y) include things like a chief, fess, pale, bend, bordure, canton, escutcheon of honor (which differes from an escutcheon of pretense).

I've often thought a cool augmentation would be adding "on a bordure Or eight mullets of five greater and five lesser points sable"

~Alden