[ANSTHRLD] question about augmentation

Darin Herndon DHerndon at chkenergy.com
Thu Feb 1 11:54:36 PST 2007

Sara wrote:
-- Etienne replies

Would that mean that, without a letter of permission
to conflict, no Ansteorran could use a Black Star on a
gold field as their augmentation? That seems so sad.
:(
-- You could not use a lone Ansteorran Star on a plain gold field
without other things included.  The black border clears the conflict
with His Grace in the Middle.  The black border just doesn't work when
it is placed on a black field or object.

And didn't someone say something about widgets
registered as badges and especially designated for use
as augmentations? If *Ansteorra* could get a letter of
permission to conflict, would that then mean the
kingdom could register a Black Star on a gold field as
a badge and use it for augmentations?
-- I think so.  This is my opinion so wait for a precedent but...  If
His Grace was willing to allow Ansteorra to conflict and register "Or, a
mullet of five greater and five lesser points sable." as a badge
(whether specifically for augmentations or not) then the kingdom could
get that as a badge in addition to the one with the border.  But, if
Ansteorra used that motif without the border as an augmentation badge,
then I do think that each person getting the augmentation would have to
have the permission given.  His Grace could give, if he chose, a blanket
letter of permission to conflict which would relieve this concern.  A
blanket letter though could allow anyone to register something that
conflicts and His Grace might or might not do that (if he is still
active).  I would recommend that if His Grace could be located, and was
willing to allow conflict only for augmentations, that we see if the
Laurel office would let us retain on file a letter of permission
specifically for augmentations only.  The letters usually have to
specify the blazons of the conflicting items so this would be a variance
from that and only the Laurel office could make that call.

Also, can anyone tell me what sorts of forms it's
appropriate for augmentations to take? Cantons, I
know, but what else? I get the impression that you can
just add an element to your device (as long as it
clears conflict, etc.), but it seems like that's as
likely to look like a change of device as an
augmentation of arms. Is there anything other than
cantons that reads as being particularly
"augmentation-y"?
-- A canton is a common form.  A charged escutcheon (shield shape) is
another common form.  A charged tierce or gore would also do this.  All
of these are normally forbidden forms because they could look like
augmentations or arms of pretense or marshalling.  So, using them for an
augmentation would not be a bad form.  There was also a period form that
some augmentations used, if I am remembering this correctly, that
basically looked like a ribbon or strip inset about a third of the way
from the dexter side that could be charged.  I cannot remember the name
for that though.  As a side topic, if someone wants to open a new email
thread asking about arms of pretense go ahead (it has nothing to do with
this augmentation but if this group likes talking about augmentations
then you'll probably like that topic as well).

Etienne

This email (and attachments if any) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this email is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return email and destroy all copies of the email (and attachments if any).