[ANSTHRLD] Conflict check help needed.

Jennifer Smith jds at randomgang.com
Mon Feb 5 08:03:03 PST 2007

Alasdair wrote:
> Per pale argent and azure, two moose combatant within a
> bordure embattled counterchanged.
>
> http://sca.bmhanson.net/images/moose%20device.jpg
>
> The submitter would like to have it without the bordure if
> possible, but I
> did find the following which I believe may conflict.
>
> {AE}lfwynn of Boscastle:  Per pale argent and azure, two
> horses combatant counterchanged.

*Generally* speaking, a separate category in the OandA indicates at least a
CD difference, if not X.2 difference. Not always, of course, but in this
case I believe it's safe to call X.2 difference between horses and moose. Do
note, however, that the category for Moose says "See Beast - Deer", which
hints that there may be conflicts lurking there between mooses (meese?) and
deer/stags.

What's closer is this one:

Kilian Schnell: Per pale azure and argent, two stags combattant
counterchanged.

1 CD for the field via RfS X.4.a. (Reversing azure and argent to argent and
azure counts.)
You get no CD for reversing the tincture of the charges, however, since in
both cases you still have one blue one and one white one, and their coloring
is forced by the field.
You *probably* get a CD via RfS X.4.e Type Changes for switching between
stags and mooses. I couldn't find a relevant precedent either way.

You definitely get 1 CD via RfS X.4.b for adding the bordure.

> Constance de Saint Denis : Per pale azure and argent, a
> bordure embattled
> counterchanged.
>
> but I believe that should be different under RFS X.1

Correct.

So in summary, you're probably safe without the bordure, but adding it sure
couldn't hurt. :)

-Emma