[ANSTHRLD] Is your branch's submissions on the bounce list?

bordure at ansteorra.org bordure at ansteorra.org
Tue Jan 23 10:43:43 PST 2007

Maria wrote:
> Earlier this month I sent e-mails to consulting heralds
> concerning issues
> with their submitter's names and/or devices.  Please check
> January's ILoI to
> see if your branch or even your name/device is listed as a
> potential bounce.
> If I requested more information or a redraw, I have to have
> these in my
> mailbox no later than February the 28th!

Since several of the submissions in the January ILoI had listed as the sole
documentation something along the lines of "this name is documented in
Academy of Saint Gabriel Report #...", I thought I'd pipe up here. That
tidbit of information, while useful, is NOT a summary of documentation.

According to the Saint Gabriel FAQ for Heralds
(http://s-gabriel.org/faq/heraldsfaq.html):

"How do I use an Academy report to document a submission to the Society for
Creative Anachronism College of Arms?

"If you submit a name or arms in the SCA, you can include Academy reports in
lieu of photocopies of the sources that we've cited. This has been approved
by the current Laurel Sovereign of Arms. Print out the entire report,
including the headers, URL, and date of the report. As a courtesy to the
heralds who receive the letter, please highlight our references to the form
of the name which is submitted. Also, be aware that our opinions are not
binding, and we cannot guarantee that the College of Arms will pass a
particular name or device.

"When preparing Letters of Intent for Laurel, submissions heralds should
note that the Letters of Intent must include a summary of any Academy report
used as documentation. When summarizing a report, include the report number
and date, list the name or device elements and the times and places that the
Academy found them used, and name the sources which the Academy used to
support its conclusions. (The relevant sources can be found in the footnotes
to the report.)"

There is included a link to a webpage giving examples of summaries
(http://s-gabriel.org/faq/samplesummary.html) that I strongly recommend
submission heralds read. You can also take a look at our LoIs (that's the
external submissions sent on to Laurel) to see how things have been
resummarized from the original submission documentation. And, as always,
please feel free to ask questions about how to document or to summarize
documentation either here or in direct email to me or Maria.

-Emma, Bordure