[ANSTHRLD] OP question - Court Baronies and Baronies in fief

POP3 User rudin at peoplepc.com
Tue Jan 2 20:49:16 PST 2007

Morgan asked:

> That's not a bad point.  I mean, it doesn't actually list Kings and
> Queens....  Look at any King or Queen who reigned more than
> twice.  But perhaps it should.  (I'm specifically talking about the
> interactive searchable OP here)  But that it shows things like Kings
> Blade of Honor or champions which have no precedence, an
> argument could certainly be made that it could list someone's time
> as a landed.  Is there anyone who knows why it perhaps was
> chosen to not be listed?

It was decided not to list ex-landed barons / baronesses in the Ansteorran
Order of Precedence because ex-landed barons / baronesses are not listed in
a medieval English, French, or other Order of Precedence, because those
people do not currently have that rank.

I have asked why the Ansteorran OP lists ex-champions,  Premier Bards, etc.,
and have received no answer rooted in precednece, heraldry, or any other
re-creative issue.  The answers are always purely practical: "We want to
keep track of it somewhere, and that was the only place."

I have no idea if Gwyneth Sanquebarr, or Daniel and Siobhan from Elfsea, are
listed as ex-barons ex-baronesses.  (As far as I know, they are the only
three exes in Ansteorra's history who don't have CBs.)

We should keep track of the Ansteorran reigns, and we do.  That should not
be in the OP, and it isn't.

We should keep track of the baronial reigns, and the baronies do.  The
kingdom ought to as well, but not in the OP.

We should keep track of the ex-champions, and we do.  That should not be in
the OP, but it is.

It is an open question whether the QBH and KBC are ceremonial offices like
the Champions, or awards.  If they are awards, they should be in the OP.  If
they are ceremonial offices, then either:
A. they should not be in the OP for the same reason ex-champions shouldn't,
or
B. they should be where the Champions are, which is currently in the OP.

Isn't this fun?

But what does "should" mean in this discussion?  There is no moral principle
involved.  I argue that things "should" be in the OP if their English
equivalents would be in an English OP.  Others argue that things "should" be
there if that is the convenient place to store them for Ansteorra's
purposes.  There's no point in arguing over where things "should" be until
we agree what principle we are shoulding.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin