[ANSTHRLD] OP question - Court Baronies and Baronies in fief

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Thu Jan 11 19:34:33 PST 2007

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007, Kimberly Langhans <sarapenrose at yahoo.com> wrote:
> So the OP entry for the CB is backdated to stepping
> up, but the scroll is not? Really?

The 1999 charter texts document says, in its example,

    A few years later when he stepped down as Baron of Raven's Fort,
    the Crown chose to confer upon him a Court Barony, back-dated to
    his investiture as Baron of Raven's Fort.

I'm afraid that that makes no sense to me.

    Know ye that we ______ and ______ King and Queen of Ansteorra in
    consideration of especial service ability deeds and grace do by
    this our Charter advance ______ to the Rank and Estate of
    {Baron/Baroness} of the Court of Ansteorra with all
    responsibilities and privileges thereto appertaining. This is so
    done and given in our ________ on the ______ day of ______ Anno
    Societatis ______ being Anno Domini ______.

    ________ ________
    King     Queen

It says "so done and given ... on the ______ day of ______ Anno
Societatis ______ being Anno Domini ______".  But the court barony was
not announced at the elevation.  Madhi and Valeria, say, decided to
give the traditional CB at the end of the tenure and I presume it's
their signatures on the charter.  Back-dating it would be a lie, and
would say that they were king and queen at the elevation instead of
Jason and Saereid, for example.

I'm no scribe; an experienced long-termer (Serena, maybe?) might be
able to say for sure.  But as an outsider, In My insufficiently Humble
Opinion, I think that putting anything but the date of the actual
court action would be a Wrong Thing.  (I wonder whether it would fit
period models to have the text amended to add "with precedence dating
to <date>"?)

Danel de Linccolne
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com