[ANSTHRLD] OP question - Court Baronies and Baronies in fief

Darin Herndon DHerndon at chkenergy.com
Mon Jan 15 13:00:19 PST 2007

I love this thread.  It has people asking so many questions about
precedence and rank in order to understand "why" and not just to get
some blanket answer.

I love Master Daniel's citations and Master Robin's explanations.  These
are the type of questions that make me love studying heraldry.

On the granting of a CB to stepping down Landed(s)...
Kingdom Law, Article III, Section 3, Subsection 1, Item I states: "If
the Crown grants a retiring landed noble the title of court baron or
baroness, the precedence dates from the date of the landed noble's
investiture as territorial baron or baroness."  Notice the "If"; it is
the Crown's option and not a "given".  But, if it is done, then the
precedence by law must date to the investiture.  Retiring B&Bs, who
already had a CB before the investiture would not be granted another;
you are only made a Baron/ess once (unless you resign it and then get
another or some similar extreme example).

As a consequence, if retiring landeds received a CB, the RP (roll of
precedence) has to be aware of both dates in some manner for their
entry.  It must have the investing date so that precedence can be
applied correctly (They rank before any CBs given during their time as
landed who do not hold a higher rank).  It has to have the date actually
given (or the stepping down date which is usually synonymous) because,
first and foremost, that is a legal event and needs to be tracked so it
can be verified. From a practical standpoint, the given date needs to be
tracked so that it is possible to backtrack which Crown granted the CB
for charter or achievement creation by the scribes.  (This raises a
different problem since achievement texts may not have wording to cover
someone whose highest rank is a Court barony backdated for this reason.
Serena and Sara, can you look at the achievement text for a Court Barony
and see if wording needs to be added as an option to allow for this?)

To go back to Sara's original question, the appropriate charter would be
the one for former landed's but there are no masters for that yet.  For
Golden Scroll purposes, I think it would be appropriate to have a master
just for requests like this one.  Most landeds I talked to about this
topic when I was Star were interested in commissioning original charters
because of the significance of the event to them.  I never thought to
suggest making a master to Star Signet for this when we published the
new charter texts because we have no master for the investing of landeds
(all originals as well).

Etienne

This email (and attachments if any) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this email is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return email and destroy all copies of the email (and attachments if any).