[ANSTHRLD] question about augmentation

Jennifer Smith jds at randomgang.com
Sun Jan 28 16:01:14 PST 2007

> So, someone has been granted augmentation of arms.
>  This change then must be registered as any other device
> would be, correct?

Correct.

>  Also, per RfS VIII.7 it must follow the rules of armory and
> period style
> etc.

Also correct.

>  If said person's original device conflicted with
> someoneelse's when they
> tried to register it the first time and they added an element
> to it to pass,
> would now adding this augmentation to the device then count
> as a CD and
> allow them to then drop the originally added element?

No, because we protect both the augmented armory AND unaugmented armory.

> Oh heck I'll just use the arms in question:

Thank you. :)

> Sable a flame argent conflicted with something so Modius had to add an
> element, thus ending up with: Sable a flame and a base argent.
>
> Now, he has been granted augmentation of arms by our newest
> Duchy so once he
> adds that augmentation can he drop the base?

Since the bearer can choose to display his device with or without the
augmentation, we must protect both versions; in this case, if there was a
conflict before with just "Sable, a flame", then no he cannot drop the base
when he adds an augmentation. (Unless, of course, he comes up with a Letter
of Permission to Conflict, in which case it's two separate actions -- a
Device Change to drop the base, and then registering the augmentation
separately.)

-Emma