[Heralds] [ANSTHRLD] Precedents and Polish Heraldry

Jennifer Smith jds at randomgang.com
Wed Jul 25 08:52:12 PDT 2007

> How do you check the Precedents for a topic?
>
>   I have a submitter who wants a charge apparently unique to
> Polish Heraldry.  Assuming the charge was used in period, it
> should be permissable.  I would also assume there may be some
> stylistic restrictions involving complexity and NPS
> combinations with European charges.
>
>   Thanks in advance for the tutorial,
>   Tostig

This was partially answered already, with regard to how to find the
precedents.

When trying to get a 'heraldic variance', you should try to give more than
one period example of the charge, and any other information you have on it
(what it was generally called, for example). This tends to work best when
the rest of the armory also matches the same regional style.  For more
details, see RfS VIII.6:

	6. Documented Exceptions. - An armorial design element that is
adequately documented as a period practice may be deemed acceptable even if
it violates other sections of Part VIII (Compatible Armorial Style).
	Such design elements will be accepted only on a case-by-case basis
and only in armory comparable in style and complexity to the documented
period examples. The strength of the case for such an exception increases in
proportion to: the similarity of the documented examples to the submitted
armory; and the number of independent period examples offered as evidence.

		a. General Exceptions - In most cases the documentation for
a proposed exceptional armorial design element should be drawn from several
European heraldic jurisdictions.
		The strength of the case for such an exception increases in
proportion to the geographical and chronological breadth of the supporting
period evidence.

		b. Regional Style - Alternatively, a proposed exceptional
armorial design element may be documented as characteristic of a specific
regional armorial style.
		In such cases the submitted armory may be registered
provided that all of the following conditions are met. (1) The submitter
explicitly requests an exception to the other sections of Part VIII
(Compatible Armorial Style) on the grounds that the submitted armory
exemplifies a specific regional style. (2) Documentation is adduced to show
that exceptional design element was not uncommon in the regional style in
question. (3) Documentation is adduced to show that all elements of the
submitted armory can be found in the regional style in question.

Hope that helps!

-Emma, Bordure