[Heralds] change in list Subject tag

Kathleen O'Brien kobrien at texas.net
Thu Jul 26 00:31:18 PDT 2007

>[snip]  Then, starting yesterday, I started getting all that random
>spam that's not been coming through for months.  It coincided with the
>change of headers on this list.
>
>List admin, I hate to tell you, but the changes might've been more
>than cosmetic.  I'm not good enough to explain how, but I think when
>things got changed someone opened up a backdoor into our inboxes.
>Have others been getting bogus e-cards, too?

No more than normal - but my email isn't double-filtered like yours.  I had
a spike in spam several days ago, but it's been dropping back to normal in
the last day or two.  (I get spikes every now and then.  However, when I
get a dramatic drop, I surf yahoo for "spam 2007 arrested" and I usually
find that some spam king has been arrested in the last couple of days.  And
I then proceed to cheer heartily!)

Either your spike is a coincidence or someone around here caught a
harvester and made the changes we're seeing to try and stop the harvester
(or other bad stuff).  If that's the case, you'll have more spam for awhile
since the address already got harvested.  :(

But I'm all for anything that keeps my email address away from even a few
spammers!  So, I don't have a problem with archives only being available to
list members (I think that's the case on literally every other mail list
I'm on), but I'd really, _really_ like to see the subject header switched
back...

Mari