[ANSTHRLD] Looking for help on badge conflict

Jacquie Ziegler shauna at bresnan.net
Fri Jun 8 15:54:41 PDT 2007

Alasdair MacEogan wrote:
> I wrote:
>
>>  Alright, I am game.  Lets have a discussion. ;-)  I will grant that roses and cinquefoils do not get a CD, BUT they are not the same charge.  Bear with me, this becomes relevant soon.
>>

> Hmm.  Forgot to reference why I made this point.  I know you can not void a rose, but a cinquefoil is not a rose.

<delurking>

You can only void simple geometric charges in the center of the field -
a cinquefoil is not
a simple geometric charge, so voiding is not an option, AFAIK.

 From the Rules for Submission:

Part VIII.- COMPATIBLE ARMORIAL STYLE

3. Armorial Identifiability.  - Elements must be used in a design so as
to preserve their individual identifiability.

Identifiable elements may be rendered unidentifiable by significant
reduction in size, marginal contrast, excessive counterchanging,
voiding, or fimbriation, or by being obscured by other elements of the
design. For instance, a complex line of partition could be difficult to
recognize between two parts of the field that do not have good contrast
if most of the line is also covered by charges. A complex divided field
could obscure the identity of charges counterchanged. Voiding and
fimbriation may only be used with simple geometric charges placed in the
center of the design.

 From the June 2004 LoAR, in a further explanation of the above rule:

The typical implementation of Bruce's test for more than a decade has
been informally called the "photoreduction test." Start with a picture
of the charge and make a photocopy of it at 90% reduction. Cut the
reduced copy out close to its outer edge all the way around. Now place
it on top of the original picture. If the result looks like that charge
voided, then that charge is voidable; otherwise it is not.

Personally, I would have to take a close look at a voided cinquefoil to
make sure that it did not
resemble a Tudor rose.

Baroness Shauna
Northclyf Pursuivant