[ANSTHRLD] armory check: Per saltire purpure and argent, in pale a cross and a lion argent

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Tue Jun 26 20:58:30 PDT 2007

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007, Jolene Graves <meraud at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I have a submitter who is wishing to submit the following device:
>
> "Per saltire Purpure and Argent, in pale a cross and a lion rampant Argent."

A meta-note: it can help to put the blazon, or part of it, in the
subject line, and note that it's armory.  That way, the name people
can skip it easier, and it helps distinguish one request from another.

What does the cross look like?  Does it extend to all the edges of its
white wedge, or does it cut off short of the edges?  If it cuts off
short, what type of cross is it: does it have squared off ends or
fancy ends?  How many arms?  Is the lowest limb longer than the rest?
Is it pointed like a stake?

British practice is to capitalize all tinctures.  The SCA only
capitalizes "Or".  Lions are rampant by default, so the postition
doesn't have to be blazoned -- but thank you for specifying it, so
that we knoew explicitly that it is rampant.

     Per saltire purpure and argent, in pale a cross [something?] and a
     lion argent.

Dankyn de Lyncoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com