[ANSTHRLD] Question about per chevron rayonee sable and gules.

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Wed Jun 27 08:22:25 PDT 2007

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007, Alasdair MacEogan <alasdair at bmhanson.net> wrote:
> Greetings.  I have been precedent diving and I find I am in need of
> help.  I am looking to see if it is possible to have per chevron
> rayonee sable and gules.

[Daniel opens his mouth]

> And before Daniel asks

[Daniel closes his mouth]

> http://sca.bmhanson.net/images/Damon_Xanthus_C.gif

Don Giovanni der Fledermaus?

As for answers: what Tec said.

> The earliest (and most descriptive) I found was from the tenure of Alisoun :
> PRECEDENT AND DEFINITION: For the purposes of AR2c,
> Though I do admit to not knowing what AR2a means.  Is it a precursor
> to the RFS?

Yup.  The Old Rules.  Specifically, Armory Rules (as opposed to NR, or
the section with the difference rules, which may have been DR, but my
memory's fuzzy).

> My concen is that this was too old and has since been overridden.

Ohhhh, yeah.  Precedents as far back as Alisoun are pretty dodgy,
except maybe for some fundamentals (though none are coming to mind off
the top of my head).  I'd definitely look for something later, if Tec
hasn't pointed out the RfS and a few examples.

> A cursory search found a handful of period cases with a divided
> field, using two colors and a complex line of partition: e.g. the
> arms of Hugh de Neville, c.1245, Quarterly indented gules and vert,
> a bend Or; and of West, c.1470, Quarterly indented azure and gules,
> a bend argent.

Notice that both cases had one of the tinctures being gules.  Gules
has the best contrast of the low-contrast area.  In Anglo-Norman
Armory II, I got the impression that if there were two colors, about
half the time one of them was gules.

Danet de Lincoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com