[ANSTHRLD] Got Withycombe anyone?

Alasdair MacEogan alasdair at bmhanson.net
Wed Jun 6 09:39:14 PDT 2007

Joseph Percer <jpercer at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Could anyone with ready access to a Withycombe 3rd edition look up
>  <Roderick> for me? I've gotten some help from Mari through Saint Gabriels
>  reports and such, and just see this referenced a few times, curious as to
>  what Withycombe actually lists, and I don't have access to the books anymore

Well as I happen to be working at home today I can get to it. ;-)
---
Roderick (m.): Old German Hrodric, compound of hrothi 'fame' and ricja 'rule', was the source of Russian Rurik and of Spanish Roderigo, but has not taken deep root elsewhere.  Roderick, however, is not infrequent in Scotland, where it is used to render the Gaelic Ruaidhri 'the red' (the Irish equivalent is Rory).  It is used particularly by the Mackenzies and McLeods.  The corresponding Welsh name Rhydderch was rendered as Rotheric; Rothericus son of Gryfin is mentioned in FA 1303 (cf. the surname Protheroe = ap Rhydderch).
---

Alasdair