[ANSTHRLD] A question for the more experienced heralds, please

Britt tierna.britt at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 05:01:59 PDT 2007

On 6/8/07, Luciana Caterina di Borghese <dolce.luce at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was surfing the net and ran across a website,
> http://www.goldenstag.net/OandA, where I found a downloadable application to
> use to run conflict checks, etc. This looks like a wonderful thing to me,
> but I know that I have a tremendous amount to learn.
>
> Is this reallly as wonderful an idea as I am hoping that it is?

Hirsch has apparently updated his code.

I recommend that you learn to conflict check by manually going through
the Ordinary categories before relying on any search programs,
honestly.  I've been doing this awhile and there are idiosynchracies
in the listed blazons that sometimes even slip past Morsulus' attempts
to coherently categorlize them.  That we cannot help, but I've always
been willing to pit my personal skills against any computer-aided
conflict checking to see who's better, and haven't lost yet.

I am not on a PC, unfortunately, so cannot stress-test the program
(find out if I'm looking for argent dogs does it bring up the beagle
and saluki, does it find slow matches when searching for annulets, if
you're conflict checking a borage flower will it pull up the roses,
and other odd little things that are out there).

But before relying on a program, learn the old-fashioned way.  Rare it
was that someone who wasn't a herald versed in conflict checking sent
in a submission thety'd found clear that didn't get returned at
kingdom for glaring conflict in my tenure as submissions herald.  You
need to know what to look for before you can find it.  Once you've got
the basics down, you might very well be able to employ Hirsch's lovely
effort and get good results.

- Teceangl