[ANSTHRLD] Mottos etc.

Darius of the Bells dmriney at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 15 07:00:55 PDT 2007

Actually, until my term as Stellar Scroll, crests were in fact reserved to the peers. A Grant of Arms got you only helm tors and mantling. The guide lines were changed at the time in order to

A: Make Achievements of Arms more accessible to the Populace as a whole.

and

B: Attempt to follow a more period model in regards to mantling and crests.

In period those who had been born with the right, or had been awarded the right to bear arms would have been able to display their arms with a helm, torse and mantling. Crests were rather particular and a right to a crest was awarded by the crown. (one example from the early 1500's even shows a gentle being given the right to bear a urinal as a crest) These examples of the crown granting the right to a crest, is as close as I can find to anything resembling our grants of arms in the SCA.  As Alden pointed out crests were also sometimes hereditary rather than granted by the crown to an individual. It is not perfect in following a period guidline but it is an attempt.

As to motto's any one can technically have a motto.. only peers have the right to register one, and display it on their achievement of arms as registered by the college. Motto's are not conflict checked against each other as they were known to change and some gentles sometimes would have the same or similar motto in period. there were also family motto's.

We also reserve the right of a gold visor on the helm to peers. this practice is actually Victorian but enough peers specified it in their registration we simply kept it.

Peers and Nobles are also allowed more elaborate Mantling using furs or mantling with strewn charges.

Nobles of course get Supporters and coronets added to their achievements.

There are a few things that are not on the forms as well. such as Group Achievements. Any group that has made it past incipient status may register an achievement of arms. Baronies get every thing that a Person with both a peerage and coronet of some kind would get while all other groups (shires, strongholds, cantons) get every thing that peerage level allows, basically no supporters or coronet but everything else.

Former Greater Officers of State can also specify that a banner on a pole/spear/something comprised of the kingdom ensign  and the badge of the office they help be added to their achievement.

Note that any one can actually put banners on their achievement and even make a note of it in their registration. This reserves only the particular composition of the banner to the past GOofS

Any way I can keep rambling all day about Achievements and will given half a chance!

Darius