[ANSTHRLD] German surname sources

Britt tierna.britt at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 11:44:57 PDT 2007

On 6/25/07, Mike Wyvill <wyvillmike at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to find the family name 'OTTE' for a client. I am at a real
> loss. While I find mentions of the name online, those are found on those
> site interested in selling you something they claim is your family arms.
>
> I have found 'van Otte' but of course that's Dutch. I have found some
> mention of the name being Bavarian in other sources but cannot find it
> specifically other than a mention that it is a spelling variant of OTTLE as
> is OTT, OTTEN, OTTEL, etc.

Bahlow, English translation, has it as a header spelling.  Here's the entry:

Otte, UGer. Ott, Ottel, Öttel, Öttle, Öttli, Ottmann., are popular
forms of the old Ger. emperor name Otto (LGer. Odo, Ode), made famous
by Otto the Great (10th c.); made popular in the eastern part of
Germany by the Apostle of Pomerania, Bishop Otto of Bamberg. Cf, also
Otto of Wittelsbach in Bav. First regained currency as a f.n. through
the Romantic movement (like Hugo, Kuno, etc.) then also through
Bismarck. Further details in Baholw VN (1965), also Brech, Der
Familienname Otto: Ott (Stuttgart 1940). Otto is an UGer. patr. from
Ottl (Jekl, Otler, Iglau 1367). LGer patrs. are Oden(s), Otten(s),
Ottsen, Otzen.

Ugh. Bahlow's  Vornamen has a _lot_ to say, all in German.  Pardon me
if I only hit the high points?

Same king and bishop are referenced.  Otto von Wittelsbach also
listed.   There's a 1200 date for Graf Otto von Bolenlauben.  Looks
like that date is also paired with Otto the Kind (Otto das Kind).
Then it wanders into 19th century references.

Own the book, will supply copies as needed.

I don't have Brechenmacher, the other referenced work, however.

- Teceangl