[ANSTHRLD] Question about per chevron rayonee sable and gules.

Britt tierna.britt at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 06:51:15 PDT 2007

> Greetings.  I have been precedent diving and I find I am in need of help.  I am looking to see if it is possible to have per chevron rayonee sable and gules.  And before Daniel asks what specifically is bringing up the question, here is a proposed emblazon that has sparked the research.
>
> http://sca.bmhanson.net/images/Damon_Xanthus_C.gif

Fix the point of the field division so it's a single rayon and not a
quasi-flame.  Right now it looks weird. :)

Of course you may.  Start with the RfS: VIII.2.iii. Elements evenly
divided into two parts, per saltire, or quarterly may use any two
tinctures or furs.

Complex line or no complex line, it's divided into two equal parts and
may use two colors.

In Laurel precedents look under the header Contrast.

[Per fess engrailed azure and vert] The engrailed line of division is
drawn well with five engrailings of a reasonable depth, and is not
obscured by other elements of the armory. The line is identifiable
enough to accept even though azure and vert have some of the poorest
contrast of any two-color combination. [Helga Iden dohtir, 04/02,
R-Caid]

[Per fess dovetailed purpure and sable] Some commenters asked whether
a complex line of partition was ever acceptable between sable and
purpure, due to the particularly low contrast of these tinctures.
Complex lines between low contrast tinctures are rare in period
armory. However, a smattering of such designs does occur, and such
examples include a variety of low-contrast tincture combinations. As a
result, as long as the line of partition remains identifiable and is
not obscured by other elements of the design, complex lines between
low-contrast tinctures may be allowed between any pair of low-contrast
tinctures. The line of partition in this emblazon is not obscured by
the tinctures of the field or by overlying charges, and it will be
acceptable if its placement is changed to clearly show a per fess
division. [Agneszka the Wanderer, 09/02, R-Meridies]

[Per fess wavy vert and azure, a bucket Or] RfS VIII.3 notes that
obscuring a complex low-contrast line of partition may well be grounds
for return for unidentifiability. We have such a case here: the bucket
covers most of the line of partition. [Jorunn Eydisardottir, 01/03,
R-Calontir]

A complex line is fine between two tinctures of the same class
provided it is not overlain or obscured by charges across it.

No conflicts, either.  Not even Chabi of Burkhan Khaldun - October of
1995 (via Atlantia): Per bend sinister sable and vert, a reremouse
argent.
Anyone care to tell us why there's no conflict?

- Teceangl