[ANSTHRLD] Help needed documenting a name, please

kobrien at texas.net kobrien at texas.net
Thu Mar 8 12:55:24 PST 2007

The docs for <merch Arthfael> are:

-----------------------------------

merch -

-----------------------------------

http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/british1000/part2.html
The First Thousand Years of British Names
Part 2
by Tangwystyl verch Morgant Glasvryn
Old Welsh Names
The single best source for personal names of the Old Welsh period is probably
the collection of charters and land-grants in the Book of Llandav. I worked
from the group covering the 6th through 10th centuries.

At the bottom of this page, the example under "Old Welsh" uses the particle
<merch>: Tancoystl merch Morgant Glasvryn

-----------------------------------

Arthfael -

-----------------------------------

http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/british1000/appendix3.html
The First Thousand Years of British Names
Appendix III
by Tangwystyl verch Morgant Glasvryn
Appendix III - 5th to 10th Century Names from Jackson LHEB
10th century
Citation reconstructed nominative
ARTHMAIL {Arthfael}

So, it looks like <merch Arthfael> is doc'd for the 10th C, but we don't have
evidence of a form of <Arthfael> in her desired time period.

Mari