[ANSTHRLD] more name info

Alasdair MacEogan alasdair at bmhanson.net
Fri Mar 30 08:19:50 PDT 2007

OK, that is what I get for trying to respond while also working.

Rhiannon is considered NON period.

Also I will look up the precedents

1.  Found several references, but the following is pretty helpful from Da'ud II

"What Names Are ‘SCA-Compatible'?...  Having found that my own baronial herald was slightly confused on the subject of ‘SCA-compatibility', I thought that it might be helpful to list the status of some of the most common names that have been considered under this rubric.  The post-period English name Fiona, which is not to be confused with the period Irish name Fíona (earlier Fíne), has long been considered ‘SCA-compatible'.  So have the names Cer(r)idwen (Ker(r)idwen), Rhiannon, Bronwen, Branwen, Rowen(a), and Rhonwen, all of which may be found in Welsh myth and legend, but none of which seems to have been in actual use by real people in our period.  Guendolen/Gwendolen, a name based on a misreading of a masculine name and attested only in fiction, was declared ‘SCA-compatible' in the 8/95 Cover Letter; more modern spellings of the name were disallowed.  Brian(n)a, a modern feminization of Brian that follows no known period model, was declared ‘SCA-compatible' in the 12/95 Cover Letter."

2.  From the tenure of François la Flamme - 2001.08

"The combination of Scots and Welsh is registerable, though it is considered a weirdness. As such, Anton Cwith is registerable as a mix of Scots and Welsh. Note: this ruling does not alter previous rulings prohibiting mixed Gaelic/Welsh names, as Scots is a different language than Scottish Gaelic. [Anton Cwith, 08/01, A-Ansteorra]"