[ANSTHRLD] more name info

Deborah Wade rhiannonferchcian at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 30 10:10:14 PDT 2007

Robin, You beat me to it.

  While I could find post period documentation of the use of Rhiannon as a name when I registered it sometime back I could not find anything within period anywhere.  When chosing the surname you also have to be careful or you could get another weirdness by accidently claiming a relationship that the goddess Rhiannon had in Welsh mythology.  I had both a name submission and device returned for those problems.

  Rhiannon ferch Cian

Jay Rudin <rudin at ev1.net> wrote:
  Faelan Caimbeul asked:

> Why is Rhiannon a weirdness? The name is that of a celtic goddess from
> millenia ago. Also, beings as the Scots and Welsh intermingled at many
> points in history, why would it be such a stretch to have a Welsh surname
> and a Scots given name? That doesn't seem like a stretch at all, they're
> all
> from the same little island.

That's twice in a row you used logic, when the issue is history. This is a
standard fallacy people fall into when dealing with the College of Arms.

1. "Rhiannon" as a name for a medieval name for a human is a weirdness
because we can't find anybody named "Rhiannon" in period.

2. A Welsh given name and a Scots surname is a weirdness because we haven't
found people with Welsh given names and Scots surnames.

SCA naming practice rules don't say it has to "not seem like a stretch";
they say it has to be shown to be period practice.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin