[ANSTHRLD] The name Rhiannon

Jacquie Ziegler shauna at bresnan.net
Fri Mar 30 12:58:17 PDT 2007

Constance Elizabeth Campbell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just a quick question.  I will admit that I've skimmed through this message
> thread and haven't read it thouroughly.
> However, I was going through the LOAR to see if they had posted January's
> minutes (not yet, darn it.. :(  *sniff sniff*  I want to change my name..
> but I digress..*grin*)
>
> In the November Minutes there is a member from the West whose name was
> accepted by Laurel.
>  "*Rhiannon verch Madyn. *Name change from holding name Rhiannon of Betony
> Wood.
>
> *Rhiannon* is an SCA-compatible Welsh name."
> Doesn't this mean that it is acceptable by laurel?  Just curious, not
> meaning to cause trouble.
>
> Constance
Yes, that is what 'SCA-compatible' means - it is acceptable by Laurel IF
the rest of the
name doesn't have any weirdnesses. The name that was being discussed had
two weirdnesses,
one for SCA-compatible and one for mixing two languages that had been
previously ruled
as being allowable with a weirdness - thus, two weirdnesses and not
registerable. You can have
one or the other, but not both.

This is not the only reason a name may be returned, but it is definitely
one to watch out for.

Baroness Shauna
Artemisian lurker