[ANSTHRLD] baronial service awards

Wendel Bordelon rwbordelon at gmail.com
Wed May 9 18:34:36 PDT 2007

On 5/9/07, Jay Rudin <rudin at ev1.net> wrote:
> Francois wrote:
>
> > I failed to be clear what the "it" in my original opinion was
> > refering.  I meant that the induction to the order needs to be
> > announced in court.  After all, isn't that one of the rules about
> > awards, they have to be read into law?
>
> No, awards don't have to be read into law.   The phrase "read into law" was
> never used to refer to awards before the 1990s.  It described the
> requirement to read *Kingdom Law* in court.  Awards have to be publicly
> acknowledged, but there is no clear definition of what form that must take.

How about a quote from the Board of Directors minutes of June 1982:
"An award is legal when the Sovereign or the Sovereign's authorized
representative bestows the award at an official SCA event and
announces the award to the populace."

> Duchies, counties and viscounties are automatic.  (Check Corpora.)  Lloyd's
> and Joselyn's duchies were never announced in court.  The scroll texts for
> these ranks specifically state that the Crown is confirming them, not giving
> them.  The form of the "public acknowledgement" is a *closing* court, and if
> a retiring King walked away at that point, he would still become a count or
> duke  Patents, Grants, and Awards of Arms happen automatically if one is
> given one of the orders or awards that carry it.  The form of public
> acknowledgement is giving the related order.  These all happen automatically
> because the principle is that they happen automatically in that situation,
> so the announcement of the situation is all that's required.
>
> Similarly, as long as the principle exists that B&Bs become members of the
> baronial orders, then investiture is all that is required to give the
> awards.

The difference is that Corpora outlines and designates the County,
Duchy and Vicounty and the award constitutions define the rank of the
orders and awards. All of which are in writing and publicly available
if not public knowledge.  Where is the publish law that defines that
the B&B automatically receive the baronial service award?

I would like to reiterate, It does not bother me one way or the other
if taking on a Barony in Fief responsiblities come with the extra
bennie,  but I do believe it needs to be announce publicly.   The
public announcement would also make such a tradition visible and
likely to survive, if so desired.

--Francois