[ANSTHRLD] Blazon advice

Robert Wade logiosophia at yahoo.com
Tue May 1 17:35:58 PDT 2007

The one instance I found (under fish-other) in the SCA Ordinary uses the blazon "roach fish".  There were also two instances of the blazon "carp".

  The default for an arrow is "Palewise, point to base", but my guess is the submittor emblazoned it fesswise.  When fesswise, the SCA default is "point to sinister".

  The blazon would then be "Azure, two roach fish uriant and on a chief engrailed argent an arrow fesswise vert".

  Quoting Brooke-Little under 'Fish':  "Almost every variety of common fish is to be found in heraldry, often to effect a pun on the name of the bearer of arms ...."   Might as well blazon them as "carp".

  Tostig

  Alasdair MacEogan <alasdair at bmhanson.net> wrote:
  Mike Wyvill
> Azure, 2 roaches inverted palewise, per chief engrailed argent, an arrow
> vert.

Got a picture to go with this?

A little blazon fu:

Qssuming the fish are indeed swimming downwards then I believe that is uriant. Though as a nte generalls if something is palewise and inverted the palewise would go before inverted.

Also a chief is not a field division it is an ordinary. no per

Azure, two roaches uriant on a chief engrailed argent an arrow vert.

English translation. Blue field. 2 fish swimming down to the base (looks kinda like an 11) a silver chief engrailled with a green arrow on it.

Alasdair