[ANSTHRLD] conflit question

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Wed May 2 09:22:57 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2 May 2007, Jennifer Smith <jds at randomgang.com> wrote:
> Hedwig wrote:
>> (filedless) a bear's head cabossed/caboshed argent
>>
>> would that conflit with:
>>
>> (filedless) a bear's head cabossed/caboshed purpure
>> Or does it have 2 CDs?
>
> It's clear, with one CD for the so-called "fieldless bribe" (RfS
> X.4.a.iii), and one CD for change of tincture of the bear's head
> (RfS X.4.d).

The Fish Ed Dept. would like to point out
<http://sca.org/heraldry/laurel/rfs.html>, the on-line copy of the
Rules for Submission.  It's good to bookmark it or download it for
reference.  RfS X.4 has the CD-counting rules; more generally, Part X
has the armory conflict rules.

>> Also, if a person is granted permission to conflict their device with
>> someone else's device do you then need to get another letter
>> of permission for a badge?
>
> Depends on how the original letter of permission was worded. For
> example, in a blanket letter of permission to conflict, it covers
> all possible conflicts, not just a specific one (or two, or
> whatever).

I read the original question the other way, from the grantor's point
of view.

In permission to conflict, there's two sides: the one granting
permission and the one receiving permission.

A person *grants* permission to conflict with their own *specific*
item.  I put in a blanket letter of permission to allow others' armory
to confict with *my* device.

     I, Timothy McDaniel, known in the SCA as Daniel de Lincoln, waive
     the full protection of my registered device "Per chevron embattled
     argent and azure". I grant permission to any future submitter to
     register armory that is not identical to (or even identical to) my
     registered armory. I understand that this permission can be
     withdrawn by written notice to the Laurel Sovereign of Arms, but
     that conflicting items registered while it is in force will remain
     registered.

     [date] [signature]

But that didn't apply to *my* badges: I had to do a separate blanket
letter to allow conflict with *my* badges.  However, since it's
blanket, any *recipient* can use the permission for any armory on
*their* side, be it their device, their badge, their award insignia,
their kingdom flag, whatever.

A *blanket* letter of permission is for all comers.  The other form
(non-blanket?  targeted?) lists the donor's name, the donor's item,
the recipient's name, and the recipient's item, as in

     I, Joe Blow, known in the SCA as Foo de Barre, give Fred Freds,
     known in the SCA as Ebenezer Nesselblat, permission for his armory
     "Sable, an aardvark rampant argent" to look similar to, but not
     identical to, my armory, "Sable, an aardvark rampant Or". I
     understand that this permission cannot be withdrawn once
     Ebenezer's armory is registered.

     [date] [signature]

In this case, there's no question, as Emma also noted.  The permission
is from a registered item to a specific blazoned submitted item, so
there's no question that it doesn't apply to anything else, whether a
grantor's badge or a recipient's badge.  -- Note that the armory
receiving permission is blazoned.  Foo doesn't give permission for
Ebenezer to register any device he likes -- just the one specified
design.

Fish Ed. would like to point out that the College of Arms Admin
Handbook is at <http://sca.org/heraldry/laurel/admin.html>, had
standard letter templates (including permission letters) in Appendix
D, and any rules pertaining to it in the body.

Danihel Lindum Colonia
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com