[ANSTHRLD] a proposed device

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Mon May 14 22:40:45 PDT 2007

On Tue, 15 May 2007, Serpentine Pursuivant <lochherald at gmail.com> wrote:
> Also, is the rising from flames bit default for a phoenix or not?
> To me it would seem that it would "have" to be rising from flames to
> be a phoenix and not a demi eagle.

You should get a copy of the Pic Dic from the SCA Stock Clerk.

    PHOENIX -- ... It is shown as a demi-bird issuant from flames.
    Medieval emblazons always give it an elaborate crest atop its head
    ... modern emblazons often show it as simply a demi-eagle.

    The phoenix is displayed by default; even when blazoned "rising
    from flames", as it often is, its posture is displayed, not the
    heraldic posture of rising.  The flames need not be blazoned;
    without flames, it wouldn't be a phoenix.

> Hedwig the cross eyed Herald

had a very shiny nose

Dannet de Lincoln
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com