[ANSTHRLD] baronial service awards

Alden Drake alden_drake at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 9 09:13:40 PDT 2007

Jay Rudin wrote:
> Not afraid to ask the tough ones, are you?

Nope!  At least I don't ask them too often. :)  I try to save up for the
really good questions. hehe
> This one is based on experience, not logic.  It became traditional long ago
> that the B&B are in fact members of the baronial service orders, and retain
> it afterwards, despite the fact that Crowns do *not* retain membership in
> the various kingdom orders.
*snip*

> So the Ansteorran custom is that making somebody a Baron or Baroness in fief
> makes them members of the Order, even though it isn't spoken in court
> explicitly, just as an Iris, Star, Scarf, or later Grant Order gives a
> Grant, even though the Grant of Arms is not explicitly mentioned.

Except that when someone gets a grant level award (other than a GoA),
their OPs aren't updated with a GoA in addition to their grant level
award, where a person without a baronial service award who becomes a
B-I-F *does* get the service award added to their OP entry.

I certainly have no objection to this custom, but I think that the
service award should in fact read into law in court to make it valid.

Thanks Master Robin!

Alden