[ANSTHRLD] baronial service awards

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Wed May 9 10:16:57 PDT 2007

On Wed, 9 May 2007, Kimberly Langhans <sarapenrose at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Really??? Man, someone should write this stuff down. I would say
> it's common knowledge that B&Bs are the principals of their Baronial
> Service Orders *while* they are landed, but this is the first time
> I've heard it said that they retain the award afterward. I think
> it's perfectly reasonable, mind you, but I had no idea that's how it
> worked. Does it still work that way, or has there been a recent
> shift (the comment about the Baronial Service Order being awarded to
> landeds *before* their stepping up makes me wonder)? If anyone had
> asked me, my answer would likely have been similar to William's.

What she said.

(Not that anyone cares about my opinion particularly, but I dislike
the idea of awards that have substantial merit-based criteria for most
people being awarded permanently to others without considering those
criteria.  E.g., I think there was an old custom of knighting the
winner or finalist(s) in crown tourney.)

Dannet "on being asked hy the Bath was his favorite order, Wellington
replied 'because there's no damned merit in it!'" de Linccolne
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com