[ANSTHRLD] baronial service awards

Diane Rudin serena1570 at yahoo.com
Wed May 9 12:47:59 PDT 2007

Etienne wrote:

> I found a lot of groups that do not follow the tradition
> he notes and they have a series of former B&Bs who do not have the
> award.  I found a couple of B&Bs who insisted the continuing entry
> in OP
> showing membership for themselves was wrong and they wanted it
> removed.

I would expect to discover that every single such person as you
describe became a B&B within the last decade.  The late 90's was when
heraldic education of the populace, especially as regards precedence
issues, mostly disappeared.

Robin described that when he stepped down as Baron of the Steppes, he
was considering making the next B&B members of the Oak in his last
court as Baron.  The Crown, Rowan and Hector, double-checked with
their Principal Herald, and told him no, they'll have it
automatically with their investiture, so why bother?

What particularly troubles me is that something that was so commonly
known up through the early '90's has become so unknown that there are
B&B's who are insisting on refusing something that is theirs by a
customary practice that pre-dates the region of Ansteorra.

Certainly this practice was still firmly in place during my first
tenure as Zodiacus Herald, April 1992-January 1995.  I applied it to
every B&B transfer that happened during my tenure.  I know that
Aodhan, who was both my immediate predecessor and successor in that
office, also knew about and kept up with that practice.

--Serena, Blanc Gryffon