[ANSTHRLD] Suggestions needed

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Thu Nov 8 10:01:48 PST 2007

It's worth pointing out that the rules for arms on tabards are hundreds of
years old, and we have no authority to change them.

The arms of the branch can be worn by the ruling noble, or by the herald
only when acting for the ruling noble.  (At Steppes Artisan last year, I
was wearing the Steppes tabard as herald.  When I called up to swear
fealty, I was required to take off the Steppes arms, because at that moment
I wasn't acting for the baroness.)

A member of a branch cannot wear the arms of the branch, for the same
reason that an English subject cannot wear the arms of the Queen of
England.

This has nothing to do with any rules of the SCA or Ansteorra, but with
what wearing arms actually means.

An SCA herald can also always wear a green cloak or tabard with gold
crossed trumpets.  This *is* based on SCA rules, because the crossed
trumpet badge was passed as a badge for that purpose.  A badge can be
assigned specific meanings or purposes, whereas the meaning of arms is
inherent in the fact that they are arms.   Ansteorra has badges available
for the holders of each Order, for the Premier Bard, for the bards in
general, etc.  It also has the badge of the Ansteorran star within a
bordure for the use of the populace, and that's what you see on the
fighters at Gulf War.  Only the Crown (or their herald acting as herald)
can bear the kingdom arms on the field.

This is why a populace badge is such a good thing.  Anyone in England can
display the Union Jack, just as any American can display the flag but not
the seal of the President.  And anyone in the Steppes can display the
ensign, but not the arms.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin